Start your day with a delicious and nutritious twist by trying our Pumpkin Protein Overnight Oats! As the leaves turn golden and the air grows crisp, there’s no better way to embrace the cozy vibes of fall than with this satisfying breakfast.
Creamy oats infused with the warm flavors of pumpkin and a hint of spice are not only a delight to your taste buds but also packed with protein to keep you energized throughout the morning. With up to 30 grams of protein and 16 grams of fibre, you’re sure to be satisfied and full for hours!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Irresistible Flavor: Beyond the protein boost, the warm, spiced pumpkin flavor makes each bite a delightful autumn experience.
- Sustained Energy: Say goodbye to mid-morning energy crashes; these oats provide a steady release of energy through the 16 grams of fibre to keep you fueled throughout your busy day.
- High Protein Content: Packed with protein at 30 grams, these Pumpkin Protein Overnight Oats will keep you feeling full and satisfied until lunchtime.
- Milk – You can use any type of milk for this recipe. I recommend cow’s milk for the high protein, calcium and vitamin D. We also absorb the nutrients in milk at a higher quantity than any other milk, but you can use milk alternatives.
- Pumpkin – Make sure you’re using pumpkin puree! This helps to blend in best with the oats.
- Oats – This recipe requires rolled oats for the best texture and quality. Avoid using steel cut or quick oats, the texture will be very soggy if you try using either one.
Steps to Make
For more details, see the recipe card below.
In a mason jar (or any other tightly sealing container) add the oats, protein powder, pumpkin spice, milk and pumpkin.
Shake vigorously until all the ingredients appear like they have been mixed together.
Leave in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 6-8 hours for the oats to fully absorb the moisture.
When ready to eat simply remove from the refrigerator, top with yogurt and enjoy!
Protein Powder: This is an optional, but very important ingredient. I recommend sticking with vanilla flavour as chocolate or any other flavour may give it a strange taste.
Milk: Any type of milk will work for this recipe, but cow’s milk fat will help have a richer flavour.
Yogurt: Any yogurt will work, I recommend a creamy vanilla greek yogurt, Oikos extra creamy is amazing for this recipe!
Toppings: You can sprinkle with crushed walnuts, almonds, or pumpkin seeds to add some great crunch to the meal and increase the protein!
Tip #1: If you want to not get the carb slump that most people feel after eating oats, adding 15-30 grams of protein, and healthy fat through yogurt will help to reduce the energy crash. Protein and fat helps to keep energy levels steady, and digesting oats slower.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Prepare the recipe normally, then in the morning or when you’re ready to eat, simply heat it up in either a microwave or stove top pot to your liking. If you’re heating it up in the microwave just be careful as the glass jar may be hot to touch.
Most overnight oats recipes can be enjoyed for up to 3 days after preparing. But for optimal texture, I recommend 1-2 days. If you’re preparing it ahead of time, I would wait until you’re ready to eat to add the yogurt as well.
Most people feel bloated and an energy crash from eating oats because it is too much carbohydrates and fibre in one sitting. By adding in protein powder and yogurt it helps to reduce that.
Protein helps the body to slow the digestion of oats which can reduce energy crashes, leaving you feel energized not exhausted.
You may want to eat a smaller portion if you’re feeling very bloated by the time you finish the oats. Oats are high in fibre, so if you’re eating one full cup, you’re getting up to 16 grams of fibre! That is almost half the daily recommendation.
Eat smaller quantities and increase the protein to feel better!
Other Recipes You’ll Love
Easy Pumpkin Protein Overnight Oats
- 1 Mason Jar
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Canned Pumpkin
- 1 Tsp Pumpkin Spice
- 2 Scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
- Pour the oats, vanilla protein powder, pumpkin spice, pumpkin, milk to the mason jar. Stir briefly and then shake.
- Refrigerate at least 6-8 hours or overnight.
- This can be served by itself, or you can layer it on top with some Greek Yogurt for added creaminess and protein!
- I like to use Premier Protein Vanilla Milkshake Protein Powder flavor, but any protein powder will work.
- You can mix in crushed nuts to the mixture to add extra protein as well.
- You can substitute any type of milk that you want, plant based milk is an option as well.